~ DARE to BE DIFFERENT... but always BE YOURSELF! ~

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Artist in Me... or Not!


I have a penchant for the ARTS; but I am not an artist.  I am artistic and creative though... in my own way.


My fascination in art started when I was about 5 or 6 years old, I think.  I remember always looking forward to art class - cutting, pasting, coloring, painting and the like.  I was amused at how cut pieces of paper, paper chads or anything for that matter, can create beautiful artworks.  When I got into high school, I began sketching.  Started with 3D shapes, then on to anything I felt like drawing in random moments, mostly objects of nature.  I can still recall lugging my sketchbook when going for walks in the park, to malls, on family vacations - almost everywhere.  But when I tried my hand in sketching people, I struggled at the task. :(  Damn! I just couldn't get the hands and face right! A friend, an artist-photographer, told me to start with the hands.  He said once I get the hands right, the face is a piece of cake.  But I got stuck on the hands and moved no further. Realizing I'm not cut out for that, I limited myself to objects and abstracts - I'm better at it. Hehe!

But my trying-to-be-an-artist-of-sorts was short-lived though.  A lot of things had happened since. I don't get to draw or sketch much anymore, if none at all.  Had I kept at it, I guess I would've been good (or not!).

I never lost the fascination and appreciation for art though.  When I get the chance, I try to visit art exhibitions as I find a sense of peace and familiarity to it.  Else, I go out and find art in the most random of things and capture them in photographs.  I realized that art isn't just for those who excel in drawing, sketching, sculpting, painting, and the like.  It is more of having an "eye" and a "heart" for it.  There is art all around... you just have to look at it from a different angle to see and appreciate the beauty.

My first few desperate attempts at photography using my phone cam (sucks!).  Needs a hell lot of improvement, I know.  With practice, I'll get it down to a T pretty soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...