~ DARE to BE DIFFERENT... but always BE YOURSELF! ~

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Mer-Nel's Chocolate Cake

I have a sweet tooth, but when it comes to cakes, chocolate isn't really one of my favorites.  I've had my fair share of chocolate cakes though - commercially-sold, bought from different cake shops and bakeshops, and those made by family and friends.  So far, for me, aside from the moist chocolate cake of Starbucks & Ms. Polly's, Mer-Nel's is one of the best I've ever had.


Mer-Nel's Cake House started with but a small stall in the town of Los Banos in Laguna, Philippines.  To this day, that first stall still stands and three more others were opened.  Later on, they built a restaurant along Los Banos' main highway to cater to a wider clientele (Laguna is a favorite out-of-town destination due to its famous hot springs and its proximity to Metro Manila).  Now, Mer-Nel's Chocolate Cake is starting to become a staple "pasalubong", much like the very famous Buko Pie.


It was my cousin who recommended Mer-Nel's Chocolate Cake to me saying that it's one of the best there is.   I was hesitant to buy at first but when I saw that it comes at a very reasonable price, I opted to buy a small one.

heart-broken...? ;)

And from the very first bite of the heavy yet soft and moist chiffon cake, I was sold!  Since then, I've been addicted to the chocolate-y, caramel-ly, marshmallow-y taste of Mer-Nel's Chocolate Cakes.  It has a distinct flavor that is truly its own.  With a slight hint of caramel, plus the flavors of chocolate and marshmallow icing melded into one distinct taste, it's just but the right combination for me.  Add that to the fact that their chiffon just kinda melts in your mouth (I swear!).  It is heavenly!

Know more about Mer-Nel's here.  Also check out their Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...